Rapid Clinics is a leading provider of DEXA services across the UK. We offer same-day DEXA scan services with reports returned from our specialist consultants within 3 working days. A DEXA scan measures the density of your bones and can help find out if you are at a higher risk of osteoporosis. The scan can also detect other potential bone disorders and conditions, such as osteopenia, brittle bone disease, and osteomalacia.
The scan is quick, easy and painless. You will lie flat for around 20 minutes while the scanner takes images of your spine, hip or forearm.
DEXA stands for Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry which is a means of measuring bone mineral density. DEXA scanning can diagnose if you are at a higher risk of bone disorders and conditions, such as osteoporosis. DEXA scans use low levels of X-ray beams to produce detailed images of your bones. The scans are quick, safe and painless.
You may need a DEXA scan if you have (or have had) any of the following:
- Osteoporosis, or a family history of Osteoporosis
- A fracture after a minor fall or injury
- Early menopause or early hysterectomy
- A family history of fractures
- Low body mass index (BMI)
- Suffer from an eating disorder
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Inflammatory bowel conditions (irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease)
- Are on medication which may increase the risk of osteoporosis
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)